Creating droplets on surface from spray?

NowWeWake

Good day all

Imagine a fine, directed spray of water moving across a surface. The spray will create clusters of small droplets that run down the surface. I am looking to generate the spray and create the droplets to run down the geometry.

My current ideas:

1) Generate the directed spray using a particle system. Track the collisions with an attribute transfer. Use the attributes to somehow spawn or grow droplets on the surface (separate from the particle-sim)

2) Use SPH / FLIP for the entire thing, but only use the particle fluid surfacer on the fluid where it strikes the object. I need a fine misty spray, not a meshed surface.

Has anyone tackled anything like this before? I would appreciate any advice or insight (even just a link to a forum post I may have missed)

I'd start with having a random assortment of your particles stick to the geometry to be used for emitting extra spray or droplets. The rest can slide off or just be killed when colliding.

I'd stay away from sph and flip if you're just looking for fine mist. You usually get better results with rendering massive amounts of self-shadowed points.

Thanks Peter! I'm getting close to the spray look I want by using a particle system, with pure emission, and running the color through a noise to get "kicks" of light off the spray. Very simple and with a little bit of comp-magic, it just might work. I wanted to get the spray look right so that now I can concentrate on the interaction...

• 2 weeks later...