Emit Pyro from POPs

Mr. Green

Hi, I'm relatively new to Houdini (using v11) but I'm coming from 4 years of Maya as an FX TD. There's one problem I'm currently having that seems simple, yet it's perplexing me beyond reason.

What I'm trying to do is emit smoke/pyro from particles (POP solver). In maya it's pretty simple, you select your particles and tell them to emit fluid.

In Houdini what I tried to do is load the POPs into a Geometry node and then use that as a source for the pyro, but this doesn't work as nothing emits. In the applysource node it lists the correct geometry node (the particles) but alas it doesn't work.

I searched around this forum and found some examples of particles doing just that, but what I can't figure out is HOW to set them up. I attached the example I found on some thread from here you can see what I am trying to understand. When I look through this example it's not setup the way I have learned Smoke systems to be setup. There is no applysource node after the smokesolver in the AutoDopNetwork. Also, there is a DOPImport node after the POPnet node.....why? In the POPnet node there is an advectbyvolumes node at the end.....what is this for?

I guess what I am looking for is someone to explain a few steps on how to source the particles into the DOP network and use them to emit the smoke. I'm sure it's pretty simple, but I'm just not getting it.

Thanks for your patience.

particles_into_smoke_3d.hip