Amazon Cloud Rendering

JuriBryan

Hey guys, so I was wondering if any of you ever used the amazon cloud render?

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1630

And even more important is it still up?

or is there a different service like that, I need to render a lot of fluid simulations for my demo reel and one macbook is not fast enough for that:)

cheers

We use Amazon Cloud Rendering quite frequently to surpass bottlenecks with our renderfarm. Most of the time it works really well though there have been problems when the Houdini Version on our systems didn't match those installed in the cloud. Be sure to check this before you attempt any rendering. And always just start with one machine and render a couple of test frames before you send the whole job.

There is also a persistent problem that extra image planes that have been rendered to separate files aren't downloaded automatically. You have to either generate them as channels in your output file (exr for example) or donwload them manually via ssh.

If you have cached your fluid sims to disk (which you absolutely need to do) you have to upload a lot of data. Be warned that you need a fast internet connection and that one machine has to be running in the cloud for the whole upload process so this will also cost time and money. We experienced connection timeouts while uploading large amounts of data. SESI changed the times for a connection timeout and since then it worked, but I'm not sure if this holds true with a slower internet connection.

To sum it up I would suggest you just try it out and see if it works for you.

-dennis

Edited by dennis.weil