Flip Fluids Self-Interaction Problem...

goldleaf

I'm getting to better know Houdini 12 and FLIP fluids, and I thought a good excercise would be to replicate the test that Igor did with Naiad (http://vimeo.com/29045955). To emit my fluids, I have an expression in the Creation Frame parameter:

if($F%5==1,$F,0)

I can't find any 'Mutual Affector' toggles on or in the flipfluidobject or the flipfluidsolver.

Has anyone else had success doing this, and could lend an idea or two?

Thanks!

stacking_sticky_teapots.hipnc

post-3767-133075410527_thumb.png

Edited by goldleaf

There's no way to make multiple FLIP objects interact with each other; you should emit a volume of particles into the same FLIP Object at different times. Then for a test like the one you link to (where the different viscous fluids don't interact), just run the simulation multiple times with different viscosity values, each time caching to a different file sequence, then offset the different simulation outputs at render time.

See attached for an example of emitting a volume of particles at intervals.

teapot_stack.hip

Aha! That makes much more sense; I figured it must have been something wrong fundamentally with my approach.

Thanks Johner!

Edit: Oh, btw, how did you get the particles to collide against the bounding box? Mine just want to flow through it...

Edited by goldleaf

Oh, btw, how did you get the particles to collide against the bounding box? Mine just want to flow through it...

Turn on Closed Boundaries on the FLIP Object | Initial Data (similar to Pyro). And make sure the FLIPSolver has Collide With Volume Limits enabled (it's on by default).