geo copied to particles - deform to motion path

wixman

Have some geometry copied onto a particle system and aiming in the direction of velocity. I would like the geometry to bend to follow the arc of motion.

Here's some things I'm in the middle of experimenting with:

- Create a short curve from the original particle using splits with a short lifespan, then use this in a wire deformer. I have this working right now but as the particle dies I get a bunch of crazy deformation and the deformation isn't looking great.

- Use the velocity vector from the previous frame/frames and compare this to the current frame, then somehow use this value to drive the deformation in a twist/bend deformer. Haven't really tried this yet.

- Create full curves from the particle's path and use this to build a lattice - Haven't really tried this yet.

- Create full curves from the particle's path and use this to create a flat surface and use a creep sop to move/deform the geometry along the path. Haven't tried this yet - Would need to bring in the start and end frames of the particle so I can match the timing to the original particle.

- Bring the copied geo into dops as soft bodies - haven't tried this yet - might get a bit messy.

If anyone has any other suggestions about better ways to do this, I would love to hear them

Creep's definitely giving me the best results. And as the curve I'm using for the creep sop is being created on the fly from the particles, I don't actually need to animate the creep sop, I can just leave it at the leading end.