How to make a pyro2 sim in H12 more efficient

zoso060

I'm relatively new to DOPS/pyro and I'm looking for some help in making my sim more efficient. This is purely for learning purposes.

I started off this exercise in H11 but recently switched to H12. The lack of documentation and posts regarding H12 pyro2 hasn't helped my cause :(

I'm trying to create rocket exhaust entirely with fluids. I want the exhaust to exit the rocket and create a massive amount of smoke - enough to fill the camera frame. I'm at a point where I have the basic look I want but my sim times are WAY too long and heavy(~2.5hrs/frame & ~30GB/frame). I'm looking for help in getting these down to something more manageable.

My setup is based on the 'Flames' shelf tool. I've used a pump to create extremely high velocity values. The Fluid Force SOP has a velocity magnitude of about 1000 (but it looks like this value is normalized??). In the Source Volume DOP I scale that velocity by 2000. Because of these velocities, I had to increase the substep on the sim to 15. Anything less gave a sparse looking result. The division size on my Smoke Object is 0.5

I tried enabling OpenCL and it immediately crashed. I found this post and will try and get it running (http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=25234&highlight=opencl) but I still feel like there's other aspects to look at to make it more efficient.

According to the profiler, the Gas Advect nodes of advect_density_temp and velocity_advect2 are each consuming ~40% of the cook time.

I'm running this on an i7-2600K (3.4Ghz) with 16GB on Win64.

I'm aware that I could probably achieve this effect with alternative methods but I'm treating this as a learning exercise in dealing with fluids.

playblast:

Any help would be much appreciated - thanks!

Jesse

rocket_fuel_test.hipnc