Make point static in Dops

Annon

I was trying to do a flip simulation a couple of weeks ago where if a particle came to rest I would remove it from the sim, making it static and hopefully speeding things up. I failed unfortunately, just not quite managing to get it to work. My friend is now doing something similar which has jogged my curiosity to see if we can get it to work.

Has anyone done something like this yet?

Thanks

Christian

The closest thing I could imagine would be to isolate your points in your flip fluid which have come to "rest" and emit POP particles from them, then deleting the original flip particles afterwards, but this would cause volume loss since your culling fluid and the flip wouldn't interact with the "rest" pop points. To counteract that you would have to generate some kind of collision geometry from the rested particles, probably via a static object, so that the volume doesn't decrease, but at this point it would probably be slower than just simming all the particles anyway.

Just because a fluid particle's at rest doesn't mean its not contributing to the simulation!

Edited by ikarus

Just because a fluid particle's at rest doesn't mean its not contributing to the simulation!

Aye I know that, that's why I'm trying to take it out of the dynamic sim, make it static so that it's not contributing. Just wondering if there is an attribute way of doing it in DOPs to make it static...

Aye I know that, that's why I'm trying to take it out of the dynamic sim, make it static so that it's not contributing. Just wondering if there is an attribute way of doing it in DOPs to make it static...

I haven't tried anything like this, but would it be possible to have a switch activated (event expression making the "rest" particles static) when the particles came to rest based on an attribute value? VOP POP possibly?

Edited by kjmitch