Collapse

nito

Im new to houdini and RBD.... i came across this tutorial

http://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://blog.junichiakimoto.com/&ei=dmKaT-MWyNiKB8TA6MgO&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=7&sqi=2&ved=0CFgQ7gEwBg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhoudini%2Bcollapse%2Bjunichi%2Bakimoto%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1539%26bih%3D843%26prmd%3Dimvnso

would be greatful if someone could show me how to do this..... i want to have a spaceship falling in space ( animated), but i need it to start falling apart like that.... rather than just deactivating the animation and setting the RBD to do their thing... i would like it to peel away...

maybe theres someother way to do it in houdini... any help would be much appreciated...

nito

• 2 weeks later...

Hey :)

this is a quite complicated effect to start with to be honest. I suggest that you first of all do some more simple tests to make yourself comfortable in houdini. If I may give you a tip, start going through the tutorials of peter quint on vimeo. He made some very fine beginner tutorials with excellent explained examples to nearly every module in houdini. It's worth a look! :)

http://sites.google.com/site/pqhoudinitutorial/home

Anyway, to answer your question, the effect is using a combination of "voronoi dynamic fracturing" (the module which handles dynamic "falling apart / peeling" or "shattering"), in combination of "RBD forces" (I guess gravity is set to the direction to which you want to peel away), some "particles" (using each fractured piece as a emitter), and if I'm not mistaken the "pyroFX-module" to generate smoke and dust. Finally, his shading/lighting is quite complex too.

Setup:

There are 2 models ontop of each other (a big sphere over a small sphere, a big donut over a small donut). The big models (e.g. big sphere = big sphrere - small sphere to make it hollow inside using a cookie node) are part of the simulation (fracture, rbd, particles), and the small models are static objects. Starting the simulation, the big part is peeled off using these techniques explained above (voronoi, particles, rbd forces,..). But again, it is a rather complex setup if you are new to houdini.

Digital Tutors offers some great tutorials on voronoi dynamic fracturing and RBD dynamics which would for sure help to understand the effect, but again, i suggest starting with something less complicated.

Hope that helps, good luck! :)