Creating Minas Morgul effect with volumes

eirik.m

Hello dear houdinigons!

I am making a time travel effect for a spaceship appearing in the skies. And before the space ship appears there is a clear sky. When the "time vortex" or whatever initiates I would like to create an effect like the minas morgul effect from the Return of the King. Only this one will be with clouds forming and not particle sorcery :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8TnpbxUnw0Y#t=94s

But I don't want to be as high as it is in the movie. But the key effect I would like from this is at the beginning when the "beam" is forming at the base. I have been doing some R'n D in over a week now, and I cannot wrap my head around this :P I have tried stuff from vortex force to driving it by particles. If someone could give a kind of recipe of how to approach this it would be great. And when I mean recipe I dont demand a step by steps but some guidelines would be awesome! :)

If the way to do this is beyond my skill set I will of course learn the necesary "lore" :)

If you don't understand what I am aiming for here, feel free to bring the hammer and ask :P

Thank you vey much!

Until next time

Eirik