What is File DOP actually saving (or what is inside SIM files)?

bloomendale

Hi.

I thought file DOP is much like File Data DOP (.simdata) except it can save several kinds of data + objects at once.

But if i save only a couple (even one i think, all i need is data to solve) of frames as sim files and then load it back in empty scene with only file dop in dop network it can solve loaded objects beyond saved timeframe.

So it is not cache, it's like saved dynamic network with data and solvers? And the only difference with DOP network is with file DOP i can't change anything once it saved.

Am i right?

Thanks.

I thought file DOP is much like File Data DOP (.simdata) except it can save several kinds of data + objects at once.

But if i save only a couple (even one i think, all i need is data to solve) of frames as sim files and then load it back in empty scene with only file dop in dop network it can solve loaded objects beyond saved timeframe.

So it is not cache, it's like saved dynamic network with data and solvers? And the only difference with DOP network is with file DOP i can't change anything once it saved.

Am i right?

I could be mistaken, but I think the file DOP saves the state of the simulation at a given frame. In that sense it doesn't save networks or objects or nodes, but enough information (everything you see in the details view for the DOP network) so that if you were to continue a simulation from a given frame you can just feed in the .SIM file and go. Of course, you'll still need all your SOPs and other networks you fed the simulation with.

Cheers

Edited by rafaelfs

I could be mistaken, but I think the file DOP saves the state of the simulation at a given frame. In that sense it doesn't save networks or objects or nodes, but enough information (everything you see in the details view for the DOP network) so that if you were to continue a simulation from a given frame you can just feed in the .SIM file and go. Of course, you'll still need all your SOPs and other networks you fed the simulation with.

Cheers

Thanks!

I thought it is state of sim too and you need solvers to operate on this info, but you can drop dopnet in a new scene and 1 file dop in it, load a couple of frames and get full range sim.

is anybody ever using the file DOP?

if so, why?

thanks

~ Manu

I'm just new to Houdini and simply looping through all i see)

as for why - if you need layered sim you export to sops and then load back in new dopnet as geo?

Edited by bloomendale