Wetmaps for autofracture geometry

mdunkley

Hi guys and gals, I'm currently in the process of trying to work out a method of generating wetmap pointclouds for flip fluids on autofracturing geometry. Wondering if any of you all have attempted this before and come up with anything?

I've currently got a solution that works some but not all of the time. Its a peter-quint-esque scatter approach that uses using the "FracturedGeo" geometry generated by the autofracture process for a wet attribute handover when the actual fractures happen. This method seems to work so long as the rbd sim isn't substepped - when it is I've been having issues getting a full representation of the current fracture from the "FracturedGeo" - I assume its happening on subframes and therefore isn't being pulled on full frames? Not entirely sure on that point, still sort of researching. I'm posting my test file here - its like an 85% solution, but I'd love to make it more consistent over substeps and/or less personally confusing. Note that substeps are currently at 2 and pieces will pop dry.

autofracture_wetmaps_odforce.hip

I'm also going down another road, trying to rebuild the fractured sim in reverse from its final pieces, then using a more traditional primuv sticking method on the unchanging geometry. The idea seems promising but the rebuilding is proving fairly tricky to work out and will probably take a little time, at least the way i'm thinking about it.

I guess I'm just wondering if any of you guys have any insights or solutions to this stuff that I've overlooked? I don't have a ton of experience with autofracturing or the data it creates and am not eager to mess with the autofracture solver myself (though i would if you guys think it would help...?). Maybe you all know of something in there that I can use? I'm a bit worried I may be over/under-thinking this or trying to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, pointers, or scene files you may have for this!

Edited by mdunkley
  • Downvote 1

Have you considering pre-fracturing your geometry? It would make generating a wetmap extremely easy.

Yeah, we have a method that works well for unchanging geometry, but ultimately its looking like we'll have to use autofracture to get the shatter results we're going for. Either way, that end of things isn't really up to me - some other guys are working out the shatter method and I'm working out contingencies for wherever they end up. I'm still secretly hoping they go back to prefractured, but for now I want to be ready for anything.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, just to follow up: SideFX was kind enough to look into this issue a little bit for me, and found a fix for my file that I had stupidly overlooked. Basically, the substeps on the solver node need to match the substeps on the dopnet - do that and all of the fractures should be properly represented.

Edited by mdunkley