Glitch // Remix Project

Wooshum

Hi All,

Here are some super early render tests for an upcoming project. Trying to get the materials / lighting right. Just throwing stuff down and seeing how it turns out, looking for a kick in the right direction. Currently using a simple Mantra Surface in this scene and the Facet SOP with the cusp angle set to 0 - small amount of post in PS (e.g. Bloom). Any suggestions on a good material set-up for sharp hard surfaces? Hoping to achieve a dark granite/marble like surface. Some Inspiration videos for reference are linked after the images.

post-7196-134305016882_thumb.jpg

post-7196-134305028394_thumb.jpg

If I could get to this standard I would be more than stoked (click link)

vimeo.com/17878719

vimeo.com/38651080

vimeo.com/31066005

Any help is much appreciated

Alex Roman (fist link) relies heavily in the use of textures for every thing diffuse, specular, bump, dirt. And post effects like bloom flares, fog and dof.

https://vimeo.com/8217700 See how color grading, works as image degrading.

Think about imperfection. As much as the silestone looks perfectly cut in real life, you have to make it imperfect in the rendering for it to look natural.

Edited by Andz

Thanks for the tip Andz, will definitely be spending a while in post for this project in order to get the best look.

As allot of my geometry will be deforming and changing throughout the scene I wont be able to rely to heavily on texture mapping for the imperfections. Is there a way / or / a good set-up where I can get these imperfections out of a SHOP shader and use them on an object without UV's or even an object with simple UV mapping applied?

Is there a way / or / a good set-up where I can get these imperfections out of a SHOP shader and use them on an object without UV's or even an object with simple UV mapping applied?

Procedurals perhaps?