Multiple Cloth piecs with one Cloth DOP

jhiggins

I was wondering if anyone figured out a way to the multiple pieces of cloth siming through one Cloth DOP.

Essentially i have a bunch of grids copy stamped for some flying paper and it sims really nicely but now i want to have them simming as separate objects and then I can make use per object variables in DOPs to vary their behaviour, etc.

Essentially i'm asking to be able to create Cloth like I can create debris using the RDB Fracture/Glue DOP in that I can import by the "name" attribute and have multiple pieces simming via one Cloth DOP.

Seems like houdini should be able to do this but i'm having now luck mucking the guts of the Cloth DOP!

Cheers,

Jeff

awesome thanks!

was still hoping there was a way to separate the pieces into the sim, but this does give me a lot of control!!

thanks,

jeff

Hi,

Check the file attached. Basically you can create point attributes for the different cloth parts in your scene and those attributes will act as multipliers in the cloth object.

Cheers

Create groups after copy operation based on connectivity. Set number of objs in cloth dop equal to total number of groups created at sop level.

Inside cloth dop where ever you are accessing the sop geo there in group para write groupname`$OBJID`

This should give you multiple different cloth objs using single cloth dop.

• 1 month later...

Hi Sadhu,

I tried your approach, but there's not group parameter where i can throw in my groupname`$OBJID`!

There is an Object Name and if i set that to groupname`OBJID` ( actually i think you would need to do groupname`$OBJ` ), but unfortunately it just looks like it duplicate my geometry however many times i'm copying my geomtry in SOPs!

I will try rafaelfs suggestion although i'de much prefer not to have to go with the point attributes for this, although they're definitely handy for other things i'm sure!

Cheers,

Jeff

Just wanted to say that i ended up using a multi solver ( with cloth object in data input then cloth solver and a sop solver in next ).

The Cloth Solver i didn't really change, but the SOP Solver just used a VOP SOP to calcualte some curlnoise for velocity ( v ) using attributes on the geometry ( to localise it per object and vary it) which was what i was after!

Not super obvious but does the trick!

Cheers,

Jeff

I tried your approach, but there's not group parameter where i can throw in my groupname`$OBJID`!

Right clk on cloth dop and select allow editing of contents then go inside it and follow the process mentioned in my reply. It works.

• 4 months later...

Create groups after copy operation based on connectivity. Set number of objs in cloth dop equal to total number of groups created at sop level.

Inside cloth dop where ever you are accessing the sop geo there in group para write group name`$OBJID`

This should give you multiple different cloth objs using single cloth dop.

Can you make this example, please. I try and try many ways, but don't understand some details.

At my work, I made a stack of papers. And need some magic animation for sequential impact by time and ID, because fan get up this stack for all in one time.

Here is the file. Is this is what u r looking for?

:)

EDIT - I forgot to replace $OBJID by $OBJID-1 in the file. As I have added ground plane, OBJID of objects change. To match it with group name in the sop subtract 1 from objid

Oh yeeees! Thank you for efficiency. Just right.

• Like 1