Using A SOP Solver With Just Points

djwarder

I'm setting up a system to simulate gradual crumbling of a surface and am trying to use a SOP Solver to calculate cohesion values on the points of a fractured box (using voronoi and a foreach to add a point per centroid). However, having looked at all SOP Solver examples, they all use polygonal geometry and when I try the replicate the technique with just points, it fails or has no output! Any idea what's up?

All I'm trying to do is set some points to be weak and spread/propagate this attribute through the points as though they are slowly crumbling away or decaying, would this be the best way to do this?

Cheers!

Have you tried appending an add sop and setting it to 'create particle system'?

Good idea, but I don't think it's that. Stupidly, I've just realised that the 'Neighbour' VOP doesn't do what I thought it did! I thought it did a nearest neighbour search but instead it's just found connected points - i.e pointclouds will return NULL. Crap! So, any idea how I can use pointclouds to calc gradual decay?

Hiya Dan, Can you post up a scene of what you're trying to do, I'll have a look. Don't have time to setup a sample atm.

seeya

x

Cheers Christian, basically I started with this file which I found on Odforce I think. It uses attributeTransfer to spread a colour over points and then sets an activate value on the RBDs based on the colour. It works great, but I was hoping to use a decay propagration technique similar to the one Peter Quint uses in his SOP Solver tutorial (http://vimeo.com/6663811), but have yet to get anything to work correctly! Any help would be much appreciated!

Off-hand, you can use a Tetrahedralize sop set to Connected Polylines on your point cloud and it will draw edges between the nearest neighbors, then you can use the Neighbor vop. Otherwise you'd need to set up a proper point cloud loop.

Cheers for the tip, never thought of doing it that way before! Awesome! :)