volume particle shader

Hey all,

I'm trying to apply a volume blob to each particle in my sim.

I'm already controlling the size of each particle blob at render time with pscale and age attributes etc. but for some reason I can't seem to control per particle density with the same attributes. I'm using a simple volume cloud shader i got from the waterfall flip rendering tutorla on the sidefx website. Please help!

post-8480-0-06967500-1352156091_thumb.jp

If you're using vm_uniformvolume to render your points, then you wont be able to vary the density per point since its converting your geometry to a uniform volume, afaik. You should look into making a CVEX shader to generate a volume at render time, where you can use any arbitrary attributes you need to vary your field.

I just want a little volume cloud shader with per particle density. isn't there some shader that does this that doesn't create a uniform volume? EDIT - removed the properties node from my shader which contained the "uniform shading property" and I can now adjust density per particle

I also have another question:

I have a cached out particle sim that I'm using to test my volume shader. When I use the cached to disk particle sim the volume shader just grabs the pscale and creates a spherical volume blob for me. If I try and apply the volume shader to a set points I created from a scatter sop then it doesn't work. I have to copy stamp a sphere to each point or a metaball . I notice the particle system has the same number of vertices as points. But, my scattered points just shows 0 vertices. My question is how can I convert my points to vertices so I can skip the "copy sop" step.

Thanks

Edited by R_cyph