fluid render optimization

Alexpdennis

ite,

im a beginner, sorry in advance...

ive built this flip fluid sim. pretty bare boned. id like to eventually accomplish the whole spray sim thing from the waterfall tutorial. and i would like to discover how to effect shading based on the velocity of my fluid particles.. (so if yall have any insight into those things, id be forever grateful). however my general question lies in the render time i've built up on this scene. bare boned shading and i havent even begun to achieve what i want. now just to be known, im willing to deal with outrageous render time, in that its not for revenue/ no deadline. right now i got it lookin like fluid, i guess... but what of transparency? opacity appears to make it change like a layer in compositing or something.. anyways, is this render time out of control for most of you? is there some attribute i have cranked that doesnt need to be or vice versa? also im noticing the graininess within the shadowy areas. id be down with my frames taking 45 minutes if they gave me a decent output..

im on a mac 8 core wit 16 gigs uv ram. btw

thanks so much in advance id be lost without you guys..

fluidDynamics2.hipnc

It's been my experience that the Opacity value for fluids makes the render time INCREDIBLY long. If you use the standard water/liquid shader on your fluid, and then use the Diffuse level at say, 0.02-0.1 of the color you want on your liquid, you should get a clear looking fluid with a faint color, no opacity change needed.

In terms of velocity I'm not quite sure on that stuff as I'm relatively new as well - but fluid/particle sims do take a really long time to render what seems to be "simple" effects, and take even larger space if you save sims before render time.