Need help implementing custom BGEO reader

Hi, I'm currently trying to implement a C++ library to read/write the new JSON .bgeo format, and I'm having extreme difficulty. I'm using the UT_JSONParser and UT_JSONHandle classes included in the HDK, since their use doesn't consume a Houdini license. I've figured out that I have to subclass UT_JSONHandle and override the json* and ua* callback methods. Then I just call the parser like this:

UT_JSONParser parser;
Geo *my_geo_obj = new Geo()
UT_JSONHandle *handle = new Geo_JSONHandle( my_geo_obj );
UT_IStream *is = new UT_IFStream("/tools/apps/houdini/hfs12.1.125/houdini/geo/defgeo.bgeo", UT_ISTREAM_BINARY);

parser.parseObject( *handle, is );
[/CODE]

So far, though, all I'm able to do is print out the stream from the parsed JSON, but not organize it into any meaningful structure. The nested multi-typed data seems too unwieldy, without either a fairly sophisticated state machine, an extremely type-flexible hierarchical data structure, or both. I'm thinking there must be an easy way to do this. I know there's a Python implementation that ships with Houdini, but that's not proving too useful. Has anyone out there had any success at using these UT_JSON* libraries? Thanks!

-James