Place cached sim into an independent "container"?

Nygma

Hi to everyone,

I have a slight problem once again. :S

I have a Smoke Simulation which cached out some *.sim files. Now I would like to "attach" these cached files to a simple container without any sim or stuff, just for visualization, so I can move it around as a sort of object (coming from Maya I assume this is possible - maybe it is an absolute weird way in Houdini. :D) without changing it anymore.

I have now tried creating a new DOPNetwork and placing a "File" node in it. It really loads stuff up and shows something, but it seems rather weird and very thin. Nothing like the original sim. So I guess I'm doing something wrong?

In general I need this to have a simulation stay in place, so not being influenced by external motions/transformations. For example if I have a moving sphere and create a fire sim out of it I want the flames to stay in place and just go straight up. But they won't do as they take the objects transformation into account as well. In general this is fine, but maybe there is a way to have the sims ignore this - a way other than caching out and reload into a separate object?

Either way I would be very happy if someone could help. Thank you very much in advance.

Bye...

Why Don't you just cache in SOP's using the DOP IO (optionally referening to it from a geo ROP). Since you're in SOP's now, things are easy ;-) so you can apply a transform or transform the object at the obj level?