Creating an acid effect using a cookie SOP - issues

Sockyman

Hi,

I have been developing an acid effect for a couple of weeks now, but I have run into a few problems when using both the multisop and cookie node. Ive been needing to use a multisop as i need the liquid to adapt to the changing geometry and then to corrode away that changing geometry.

I need a liquids collision area to drive the corrosion, and this all seems to work but when this is passed into a cookie (to cause the correct burning effect), it is causing the issue of growths rather than corroding away (see attatched image). I know this is due to some of the normals not being correct but is there i way of always keeping the normals pointing the same direction?

Another issue that is occurring which i cannot seem to solve either, is that i need the corrosion effect to not just occur on this object but on a wall and bolt. When i add these objects to the corrosion effect, the collision boundaries seem to be applied many times and the simulation grinds to a halt.

Im sorry if this sounds quite complicated (probably more than it should be!), but I really just need some advice on the right direction to solve this.

Ive also attached my latest scene file, so you can have a look at the effect.

Thanks alot!

post-9601-0-95329300-1366301391_thumb.pn

Combined_Effect_latest.hipnc

2 things:

1) don't use the cookie (it is unstable), use sdf representation instead for your object - this should be possible with vdb, most likely this will be through a combination of displacement and added elements such as corrosive foam that you layer on top as a separate element. Think about your lock as several objects/elements - don't try to do it all in one mesh, break it into different elements: silver metal, goldish metal, internals of the lock, foam, smoke, ... -- do that stuff inside a sopsolver

2) use sdf for your collision detection. Use several levels of detail of sdf to detect different accuracies of collision detection. Search for "sdf collision in pops".

This is a file I put together a while ago that might help you -- that was pure displacement, now I would use volumes for it: