rolling dust storm

kinetic

Hello,

Just wanted to get some feedback on the approach I should take with a proof of concept I'll be working on. The effect I've been tasked to achieve a rolling dust storm effect that is created after an initial explosion/shockwave blast. The dust will slowly roll in afterwards towards camera.

So my question is, to achieve and maintain such a high level of detail, is it recommended to go the pyroclastic route? I've been researching threads on the forums and it seems like a very good method/solution, but I'm not sure how heavy it is during render time. Any thoughts, suggestions? I'll have a hip available later.

The attached photo is a ballpark reference only. A fraction of the size with similar detail is what I'm after.

Thanks

Kev

post-7853-0-22696300-1366574204_thumb.jp

Edited by kjmitch

I don't know what you mean by method, Pyroclastic describes the type of effect you're trying to achieve, not the setup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyroclastic_flow

So yeah you'll have to do Pyroclastic, cause that's what it is :)

I've done it before by having many pyroclastic sims and doing a layout of them to sculpt the look (lots of duplicates, but offset in time, translation, rotation, scale etc). It's a lot of work, but I don't believe you can do it all in one sim (you can get close, but no banana).

Have fun.

C

Got it, wrong verbage used :unsure: I've been scouring through some threads and older hip files to familiarize myself with it. Unfortunately, it's too much of a grey area for me and I probably wouldn't be able to turn it around quick enough. I'll still work on it, of course. Will be a nice thing to have in your arsenal for sure.

Sourcing the volume that I create and add noise to in SOPs has been kicking my arse. Obviously I'm overlooking something. R&D time!

Yea, I checked that out some time ago. Just found out it's not even though look that's needed....sooooooo <_<

I'll still wrap my head around the pyroclastic effect once I finish the shot. Thanks for the suggestions and insight.

Edited by kjmitch