Split Mesh with curves

kos88

I know, there is a digital asset on orbolt that already do that.

But I want to build my custom "poly split with curves" to create procedurally a tool that I've build in maya time ago.

So, here there is what I have:

splitCrv01.jpg

What my python sop do is that:

for every point in curve

get the nearest prim, add the value to a string in this format:

"FACEf:U,V "
[/CODE]

so in the end I have a Detail attribute containing something like this:

[CODE]
"137e0:0.5 137f:0.1266,0.3858 246f:0.9720,0.3291 246f:0.8388,0.2882................."
[/CODE]

At the moment, to avoid errors by starting the split on a center of face the first input is hardcoded as:

[CODE]
FACEe0:0.5
[/CODE]

The next step will be get the edge and the percentage along it from the U,V value.. and also for this, if you have ideas on how do that will be very apreciated.

The problem now, in addition to the start point picking, is that when i use the poly split with this expression:

[CODE]
`details("../splitWithCurve1", "split")`
[/CODE]

it works as you can see in the below image..

splitCrv02.jpg

but when I change the focus of nodes or something in the graph.. the expression it's automatically disconnected most of the times, sometimes remain attached and allow me to continue testing without re-paste the expression to see the result.

I don't understand why.. Can someone help me?

Without diving into C++, that I don't know, is my workflow good? or there is a better way to use poly split procedurally?

Thanks a lot!!

I found the "solution".. maybe is a bug.. don't know.. however..

If you create and connect a poly split node and paste directly the expression, when you change the focus of the node the expression breaks..

If you create and connect a poly split node, DO A SPLIT MANUALLY IN THE VIEWPORT, and then attach the expression, it works and doesn't break..