curve + uv+ point on curve Feedback

Hi guys how is it going?

I am learning a lot in houdini ! now I want to make a custom motion path , I know .... houdini has one already but I dont have full controll over it , I wish to have a system where i can have control over everything and I believe it s a good learning experience !

So first step : I made a file where I added UVs to a curve and attached a null to the curve , If you guys don't mind can have a look at it and give me a feedback? What s good ,what s bad, other way to do stuff and so on?

I am mostly concerned about how I retrived the maxUV param, I am not sure if it s the best way (basically promoting the UV attribute and using max as conversion )

Also other thing I am not sure about , since I didnt find a way to import or reference a detail attribute inside the vopsop I converted the maxUV attribute to point again and feed it inside the vopsop , is it there a better way?

Thanks a lot guys!

image.jpg

uv_plus_point.hipnc

Guest mantragora

If you don't scale UV it will be between 0-1 always, so what's the point of normalizing it ? Also, I'm not quite following what you want to achieve here. What's the role of the null ? There is a lot of promoting attributes but I don't see a reason for this yet.

Edited by mantragora

If you don't scale UV it will be between 0-1 always, so what's the point of normalizing it ? Also, I'm not quite following what you want to achieve here. What's the role of the null ? There is a lot of promoting attributes but I don't see a reason for this yet.

Hi thanks for the answer so , what i am trying to achieve is a custom motion path on which i compute manually position and orientation.

So first step to reach the goal is find a point based on U value,

So my curve didnt have a U map so I created it and then I normalized it. Actually you are right , after resempling the curve the UV got normalized , before it was going from 0 to NPT -2.

Cool so I can get rid of the normalization part.

If you check the new attached file you will see that U is not normalized.

But anyway to answer your question : the null is just to visualize the output data so to see if the point is calculated correctly

The attribute promoting was there for this reasons : (now there is no more need since UV is already normalized)

- Get the maxUV value out of the UV array.

- Convert it into a point attribute in order to be able to read it the vopsop

Do you know any better way to achieve this two operation ?

I am trying to see If I get workflow and way to do stuff correctly

Thanks a lot

notNormUV.hipnc