Decimating geometry and maintaining quads

hbiz

I have a mesh that's all quads that I'd like to decimate (reduce the polycount) but keep the result in quads. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this. Everything I've tried so far has resulted in triangles.

I was hoping there was something like this video (@2min 38 sec):

Thanks for your time

A nice way to do this is to convert it into a VDB volume, resample the voxel size and converting that to polygons. It won't always be able to resolve all the quads, but the example above has this exact same problem. Funny enough, the implementation in Meshlab has generally the same technique as doing it with VDB inside Houdini.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wesley, thank you for your response. I tried using VDB and it did a pretty good job at outputting quads. The main problem though was that it resulted in a denser mesh than my original mesh. VDB had to increase the voxel density to match the shape and that resulted in more polygons that I started with. Trying to reduce that using the VDB methods either resulted in loss of shape, holes or a final mesh that was more dense than the original.