Rigid Bodies in place of Flip Fluids!

Guest Ari

Hey guys,

A couple of us working on this project where we have to simulate of tsunami/flood of trash and waste. The approach I am following at the moment for this is, doing a flip sim and saving them out as bgeos and then copying the all the trash models to the flip particles. However the problem I am running in to here is that of course they won't have any collisions and therefore the objects intersect with each other badly.

I was thinking if there is anything I can do to transfer the velocity of the flip particles to my rigid body sim so that they follow/behave in a same manner as fluids with proper collisions? :blink:

Edited by Ari

One way of approaching this would be to use the field force node. This would allows you bring the velocity from the FLIP sim back in to create a force to drive push the rbd objects around.

Currently away from Houdini so haven't checked, but I *think* it should work. Not sure how well it would scale if there's a lot of trash though.

What I would do it to create a particle system driven by the velocity of the Flip sim.

Then you can control how many points you need and you don't need to read in millions of points as a force later on.

The points should then be used the way jujoje described, as a field force.

Then you just "emit" your trash objects as new rbd objects and let it sim.

The field force will move them just the way the flip sim was moving and you have not more collision problems.

hope that helps,

Juri