Best method for using a point cloud for illumination

I have about 500,000 points that I want to use for illumination. My question is, what is the best method to use those points for illumination? Light instances? Geo Light?

I made a shader a while back that just looked up the point cloud and added the color value. Maybe I want to do something like that but cast shadows?

Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Jason

I think you want to try to not shoot half a million shadow rays per sample. That is really going to slow things down.

So Geo Light could work.

Or, if you don't really need shadow, more like a strong falloff (think fireflies), you could do just the filtered point cloud look up. (fastest)

Or, just have them as little emissive spheres and let the diffuse bounces handle it. (probably nicest and quite fast if you already have diffuse bounces)

great thanks dany. I hadn't thought of using the spheres and diffuse bounces. I am using the point cloud method similar to the method that I found here: http://ihoudini.blog...n-and-some.html but using it for volumes as well.

I'll try using the spheres and see which one looks nicer. I am already planning on doing some diffuse bounces so it might be a good idea to just do it that way.

cheers

Edited by mightcouldb1