Swimming pool ripples

rurik

Hello

I'm trying to create an effect of slow moving ripples as in a Swimming pool. The final render needs to look as if you were inside of a pool, looking up to the sky.

The reason I need to do this in 3d (vs a regular noise type function in a 2d app) is that there will eventually be a floating object in this pool, interacting with the water.

What I'd ideally like to do is generate my ripples (using the ripple solver probably?) and then render it out as a height map so I can then use it as a displacement in my 2d app. Or just render straight out of Mantra with a sky dome or something like that.

The part I'm stuck on is how to create the height map from the ripple? I'm a bit shaky on VOPS, so any pointers would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks! That works nicely.

The render is looking super aliased, but my source grid for the ripple solver has plenty resolution...And changing the resolution of the grid does not seem to make any difference.

Anything I need to be doing on the Mantra side? Am using Micropolys...

Thanks again

post-5190-0-50780000-1376421430_thumb.jp

Edited by rurik