Geometry Light With Particles

I am trying to make point (particles) illuminate a volume using the geometry light.

Does the geometry light work with points. I can get a small sphere to illuminate my volume using the geometry light but if I try and do it with a single point, it doesn't work.

Simple scene attached for reference.

Thanks.

geometryLightTest_v01.hip

I am wondering if what you were seeing there was reflection or something. You had no material assigned to your ground plane, so I first tried a clay material assigned to the ground and then a mantra surface shader with reflectivity turned off. I can't see any diffuse illumination on the ground at all...

I also put a volume in there with a billowy smoke shader and it seems to be getting no illumination either.

Ideas?

GeometryLightPoints_v02.hipnc

I am wondering if what you were seeing there was reflection or something. You had no material assigned to your ground plane, so I first tried a clay material assigned to the ground and then a mantra surface shader with reflectivity turned off. I can't see any diffuse illumination on the ground at all...

I also put a volume in there with a billowy smoke shader and it seems to be getting no illumination either.

Ideas?

Oh sorry, my bad. I had accidentally turned off diffuse contribution on the light. Not sure how I managed, but turning it on again will fix it.

Edited by JonathanGranskg

Ok I now see what the difference it between it now working and previously not working. Apparently you need to have a particle system in there for the geometry light to pick up the points as lights. If I kill out the particle system so the geometry that the geo light uses just has isolated points, it doesn't seem produce any light...

At least it is now working!