Animation Driven RBD's

kogden

Hi!

I hope Someone can help me out here, Ive been chasing my tail for a little now, most likely because im new to Houdini...

I found a post from feb, that sort of suggest what im trying to achieve!

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?/topic/17042-bullet-and-animated-object/page__hl__rbd#entry104028

But I'm at ends on how to achieve this...

In short if you're not up for following the link, heres what i'm trying to do.

Imagine a large pre-fractrued object sliding across the ground (driven with animation), and the fractured pieces detaching and becoming pure RBD animation.

Another example would be, two large pieces of building pushing and shearing against each other (this is hand keyed/anim driven) and again the prefractured pieces that collide, detach and turning in a pure RBD sim...

Ive found that use deforming geo added to the RBD sim, and gives unsuitable results, I thought i came close with animating a glue contraint network (with not much success), Ive also tried using an activevalue sop with a point expression to turn on the RBDs with the get within a threshold of a attr color transfer...(this looked promising... but i think my lack of knowledge is letting me down :( )

When i get home tonight, i'll setup a small test case in an apprentice version (cant dowload/upload files from work sadly)

I'm also guessing that this has been down before, and apologies in advance ive missed a super obvious post by someone with a solution!

On a sidenote, I'm currently having to make a choice between Houndini and Fracture... please dont make me use fracture... its amazingly unstable :(

Id love any help!

Cheers Kieran

Hi again!

So here is an example of what I'm trying to do...

Its a pre-fracture box, added to a DOP network.

I'm adding a Color attr which is set when it come with the proximity of a ground plane.

The Color attr is then driving an activeValue node inside of DOPs and also drives and rbdKeyActive (to swap the piece from an animation to an RBD), These are both driven with a point expression. The rbd key actives OBJ path is set to a seperate geo node with the animation on it.

This seems to be working at some lvl, but it looks like i might have by "piece" and "point" values not matching? It seems that the color point attr is activating/deactivating the incorrect piece...

There is a couple of things i feel that arent right about this method, mayeb ive gone down a silly path using a color transfer to activate rbds, and maybe animating the glue network would better? Or activating the rbds based on impact data would be better? (Though i pretty much have no idea how that would be set-up...)

I would love any help!

Cheers Kieran

RBDAnimExample_B01.hip