FEM - Weird slow-down/jiggle

bandini

I am doing a simulation of something breaking through turf/ground.  I am having an issue where I get an unexpected slow-down of the simulation and the ripped pieces seem to crawling back to their original positions, instead of continuing their momentum and behaving in a natural manner. (I would try cloth, but it appears tearing/fracturing has been removed  :( )

Anyone care to check out the file and see if you can help this become stable?

Also, I am open to hearing other options for doing this effect.

Example movie of the problem and hip file attached to this post.

GroundRip_Problem_01.mov

GroundRip_Problem_as.hip

Also, if anyone from SideFx happens to read this... When will we be getting tearable cloth back in Houdini?  Seems like every .5 version it is added or removed.  It is a little frustrating from the user's perspective to have necessary features removed every few versions without an explanation or understanding of why it was taken away and when it will be returned.

ya - with cloth tearing coming and going, best practice is to keep a version of Houdini around you know works and use it when you need tearable cloth!

I tried your .hip and in the ~H13.0.266 it didn't tear, just bulged!

Hey Ratman,

The file was created with an older production build, not the newest one.  SideFX changed something with the Solid Fracture Sop in the newest build, which does not match the noise settings in the previous version.  Even lowering, I see the same problems.