Making an explosion look realistic

Alaois

Hi All,

I've started learning Houdini a few weeks ago and I'm interested in learning pyro fx in particular. - This is the type of effect / look I'm trying to achieve = http://vimeo.com/64370623

I've played with the simulation itself and I think I have a basic understanding of what all the options do, however whenever I render the simulation it doesn't look real. So my question to you experts is, how do you make fire and smoke look realistic? As in an explosion, the dark smoke combined with fire.

Sorry for the vagueness, I'm not entirely sure the best way of wording it! 

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Alaois

...however whenever I render the simulation it doesn't look real. So my question to you experts is, how do you make fire and smoke look realistic? As in an explosion, the dark smoke combined with fire

You'll need to apply a pyro shader to your explosion and tweak the parameters a bit.

It's also advisable to spend some time with the mantra ROP and a proper lighting setup with some area lights and stuff...

There's a great series on the pyro shader by Mario Marengo

cheers

Thanks rafaelfs, I'll take a look at those videos.

I believe it's the shading I'm having an issue with rather than the overall quality of the render. It could be also that I don't have any lights in my scene either?

Lights do make a hell of a difference, especially in regards to volume self-shadow. As you render volumes, the same principles of sculpting the shape with light apply, just like surfaces.

Cheers

Edited by rafaelfs