Saving CHOPs data

jim c

I'm having problems saving out CHOPs data. I have a Digital Asset. I key frame some animation. Create a CHOPs net use a Fetch Node, then RMB and Save Data Channels, save the .bclip.  Fetch Node has default settings.

Use a File CHOP and read the .bclip in, and set it to Export to a different instance of the DA. Scrub the play bar and no animation! So either I'm hallucinating, or missing a step or something else? In the new instance I can see the various settings are linked to the CHOPs (the channel colors are changed) and some of them have an initial value, but nothing animates. If I

Now if I toggle the Unload tickbox in the File, then it all works just fine. This is with a small DA, less than 100 channels.

With a larger full rig, over 400 channels, it doesn't work at all. Despite the fact that all the channels in the File node appear to be exporting back to the correct DA and the relevant channels, it's not processing the data.