Particle Count as Headsup/Render duration in render view

dpap

As the title says I want to dislay the current Particle Count of  fluid sim as Headsup in the viewport. How can I do that?

Is there a way to see the render duration in render view.  Is there also a way to save this info with the/ on image just like in Vray?

Thanks

Thanks Shinjipierre!

It certainly does the job. If someone has an alternative though, so that it is displayed as a HUD in the viewport I'd be glad to hear it as well.

How about the duration of rendering a frame in the Render View? There has to be a way...

How do you guys compare the impact on render time when changing various render settings?

Even Maya displays the duration of rendering the current frame...

How about the duration of rendering a frame in the Render View? There has to be a way...

How do you guys compare the impact on render time when changing various render settings?

Mantra/Properties/Statistics/Verbose Level set to 2 or 3. You can see it when you launch Houdini from the terminal 

EDIT: setting to 1 even works!

P.S. I know this is crazy-talk but the manual has this! ;)

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini13.0/nodes/out/ifd

Edited by tar

Thanks for your reply Marty but I still see nothing on my Render View window.

All Verbose levels give me nothing except from Level 5 that gives some data in the Console that I don't understand.

You can see it when you launch Houdini from the terminal 

Do you mean that only then can I see this info? I am afraid I don't now how to do that... Should I type something in the Command Prompt  in Windows or the houdini Command Line tools?

I simply launch Houdini from the shortcut , is this why I'm not seeing anything?

Aaaaahhhh....Houdini... I just want to see the render duration on my Render View.... Does it have to be so complicated and unintuitive?

Thanks for your reply Marty but I still see nothing on my Render View window.

All Verbose levels give me nothing except from Level 5 that gives some data in the Console that I don't understand.

Do you mean that only then can I see this info? I am afraid I don't now how to do that... Should I type something in the Command Prompt  in Windows or the houdini Command Line tools?

I simply launch Houdini from the shortcut , is this why I'm not seeing anything?

On OsX you can open launch Houdini from the Houdini Shell.terminal by typing 'HoudiniFx', Try it with the Command Line Tools, though, I'm not on a Windows box currently, to test it.

Then when you set the verbose level to 1 a readout will occur in that window, this should be all you need. The manual has an explanation of the render time settings currently, mislabeled it appears, under the 'Alfred style progress' There are two things to note:

When using this for the 'Render View' panel, the readout times accumlate as the IPR is a continuously running render, i.e. you tweak a setting, the render updates and the times getting longer! P.S. You can see all the render processes by opening up the 'Render Scheduler', RMB on a window tab, and you'll see the IPR render chugging along without stopping as you tweak your settings. To see discreet render times press 'Kill' in the Render Scheuler window or the Red 'X' stop button in the Render View window, then when you click Render again it will all start up, though, you will incur a hit as it processes the IFD AFAIK.

The second note is that the render times are a readout for the total cpu thread usage. You can see how long each thread takes by setting the Thread Count to '1' under Mantra/Properties/Render/Thread Count. The more threads you add, the quicker the wall clock time is but the render times take longer in the readout!

As always, the best way to learn it all is to run some tests!

Aaaaahhhh....Houdini... I just want to see the render duration on my Render View.... Does it have to be so complicated and unintuitive?

I'm sure once you learn Houdini effectively and efficiently then other software will appear complicated and unintuitive ;)

Thank you again Marty for replying!

I'm sure once you learn Houdini effectively and efficiently then other software will appear complicated and unintuitive  ;)

I am not saying that the whole houdini interface or way of doing things is unintuitive. I wouldn't be here If that was the case.

However some things like this one should just be there!

post-9497-0-42719800-1392146297_thumb.jp

post-9497-0-32553200-1392146397_thumb.jp

post-9497-0-14018400-1392146406_thumb.jp

• 1 year later...

Late to this topic, but was wondering if anyone experienced this:

When I apply this comment to the camera it jumps to 0,0,0 origin.

Only happens after I apply the PARTICLES: `npoints("/obj/splash")` text.

Used diff dir path obv.

Weird.

Edited by microdot