stopping particle emission

-HEAVY-

i would like to use the motion of the parent object to stop particle Emission - so when the emitting parent stops, the particles on that particular object should stop .

thats one prob and the other one is that i have a lot of objects that came from a copy node feed into the popNetwork - so i cant say stop at $F...

cheerz de

Heavy

ok i rebuild the Scene down to basic objects.

there are two problems i see and doesnt know how to handle
one will see that when the Emission of the debris in StoneDebrisSim -> popNet starts there is a bunch

of particles emitted and then mot as much as i want

and

second is that as i said i would like to stop the emission when the motion of the objects stops...

effectTD_Text_rebuild.hipnc

I tried the scene file, doesn't even work properly on latest production build.

I did try to make a rbd object also an emitter, but tried to get the bullet velocity to control POP Source directly failed.

Hopefully someone can try if this is possible.

But, I know if I baked the rbd simulation out and then use trail calculate velocity and angular velocity, it is possible to create a vertex attribute to control POP Source with Emission Attribute parameter.

I did try to make a rbd object also an emitter, but tried to get the bullet velocity to control POP Source directly failed.

Hopefully someone can try if this is possible.

Create dopnet with rbd object (let's say "rbdobj") and solver, create pop object, pop solver and pop source, merge two branches together (it's better rbd be the first). In the pop source choose to create particles from DOP obj and type in "rbdobj".

then in Constant Birth Rate param of the pop source type something like:

100 * length( dopoption($DOPNET, "boxobj", "Position", "velx"), dopoption($DOPNET, "boxobj", "Position", "vely"), dopoption($DOPNET, "boxobj", "Position", "velz") )

I found a way doing this without using parameter expression, but is slower than the expression provided by bloomendale.

a shorter version would be 

vlength( vector(dopoptions($DOPNET, "box_object1", "Position", "vel")))

of course you would need to account for angular velocity as well, so spinning but not moving rbd object is still emitting.

I wonder if there is a way to copy value from Position data and attach to attributes instead of using expressions?

I tried to find through nodes available in DOP network and inside attribute VOP in a SOP Solver, can't find anything helpful.

Here is my slower method but use emission attributes.

By using a SOP Solver with multisolver, regular rbd( not packed rbd, will explain later), can emit from surface and and control emission perfectly "if" on POP Source you use DOP object and turn on scale by area.

Where you need to change the point velocity on dop import from "no point velocity" to any of the other 2 option. And use a attribute VOP to do whatever you like to output attributes for controlling emission.

Unfortunately, POP Source is wired with old style RBD objects in mind, so when you try to emit from a packed DOP object, you can emit from "surface" since each primitive is now it's own object, if you choose emit from points and see wire frame mode, you will see particle emits from centroids.

So unless I have time to study how POP Source is wired and created a packed rbd compatible one, I don't think I'll further pursuit this one.

any chance to merge it with my file?

Sounds interesting what you talkin about but i have no clue what it means... so i have to try to

test it with some smaller example....

Edited by -HEAVY-

I tried you scene and couldn't understand what you want to do via the network or the result(I saw many pointy thing spawned, but no particles).

Use the expression posted above on 'ONE' rbd works fine, but it does not work on packed geometry since POP Source are not designed for packed geo, yet.

I tried you scene and couldn't understand what you want to do via the network or the result(I saw many pointy thing spawned, but no particles).

Use the expression posted above on 'ONE' rbd works fine, but it does not work on packed geometry since POP Source are not designed for packed geo, yet.

works pretty well with packed ones. Unlock popsource, dive inside sopsolver in it and add unpack sop right after "dopimport1" node (topmost node)

@bloomendale, Thanks for tracing the POP Source, any chance you know how to get RBD data into geometry attributes?

In H13 I think sidefx is trying to move away from parameter expression that are single thread and slower, but for simple thing like getting a rbd object's Position data info(vel, angvel) out and attach it to Geometry attributes(so it can later be used in SOP Solver), I couldn't figure out a way to to it properly. ( And DOP Import is a black box that I can't dive into it on how it derive from rbd to get point velocities. )

to clarify what i want and to make it more easy for you

helpful guys i cleaned the file and reduced it to the Basics.

hopefully that works better now.

and as you see there is no DOP and i hope there is

a solution without DOPs and to much referencing and

scripting and RBD stuff.

and for sure - the second sim is the one that should stop

when the objects came to rest.

cheerz

de Heavy

Edited by -HEAVY-

@bloomendale, I mean for traditional RBD, but anyway since packed one are working, I guess it's more straight forward to do this packed.

Here is a hip file that thanks to bloomendale's suggestion, can quickly scale up to your liking when use packed geometry, see the sticky note and have fun with it.

(ie. you can setup one packed geo and copy it many times, but still have simple DOP network. each piece that breaks up will function properly without extra setup.)

Cheers~

packedVelControlEmit.hip

@bloomendale, I mean for traditional RBD, but anyway since packed one are working, I guess it's more straight forward to do this packed.

Here is a hip file that thanks to bloomendale's suggestion, can quickly scale up to your liking when use packed geometry, see the sticky note and have fun with it.

(ie. you can setup one packed geo and copy it many times, but still have simple DOP network. each piece that breaks up will function properly without extra setup.)

Cheers~

Oh, then use Dop Import Records SOP in sop solver after bullet solver for example.