Dragging and dropping shaders onto viewport

I have seen in numerous tutorials shaders being dragged from the Material Palette onto geometry in the viewport but I seem to be unable to do this 

I am following a tutorial from Digital Tutors on compositing CD into live footage. In the tutorial he is assigning constant shaders to geometry to use as color mattes in nuke. 

When a shader is drag and dropped onto the geometry in the viewport, a popup shows allowing them to choose what to apply the shader to, but when I try and do it, nothing happens and the model still has the shader and texture applied that it already had. 

I have attached a screenshot from the video showing what SHOULD happen (they are using H13 in the video, as am I) 

I also run into the problem of dragging shaders onto objects in the Render View and getting the error "Nothing Under Cursor. You cannot drop a shader onto an empty pixel" when I have clearly dropped a shader onto an object. Ctrl+clicking on an area also tells me "No shader detected under cursor" when there definitely is. 

post-11063-0-21387000-1396059626_thumb.j

Edited by thestuntman

The areas should be grouped as I am using the exact same files that the person in the video is. Even if the geometry I am dropping onto is not grouped, shouldn't the shader still be applied to the whole object? In either case this is not happening.

I could post the hip file but without the geometry I'm not sure if it would help. I'm not sure if I can post it as it's from a commercial tutorial.

should be or are?

Just run a small test.. This screenshot was creating a group and drag and drop from material palette - OsX H 13.0.366

post-8321-0-10565800-1396231943_thumb.pn

Edited by tar

I created the example you posted exactly and it works fine. I think it's just an issue with the model in the tutorial files. I could upload the hip file minus the model if that helps... It's just a series of Rigs and the model. You might be able to see whats up just form that.