not white whitewater

gramx

Hi

I am using the whitewater setup in Houdini 2013 for rendering whitewater in mantra. Currently I have a solid colour on the spray in the material shader. There is an option to use smoke color and point color but non of this data comes through. The whitewater particles are being converted with a VDB and volumerasterizepoints as per shelf setup. When this happens the point colour is lost and I don't know how to transfer it. What I am trying to do is create a ramp so that whitewater above ocean level is white and as it get deeper below it turns green any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Graham

Ok, I have figured out how to put a colour ramp on the spray shader based on the height of the volume. It would still be very useful to know how to transfer colour data from the particles onto the volume also! Anybody know how to do this? Thanks :)

Edited by gramx

Create an empty vector volume, name it Cd. Use a `Volume from attrib` to get the color from the points into the volume. I usually add a visibility node to make it invisible, then you merge with the other fields, and you'll have density, vel and Cd typically.

That all being said, you can actually use the uniform volume shader directly on the points (render as spheres by using "no point rendering" and I think you need to use an 'add' node to make it work... something like that). Each point will be a little sphere rendered as a volume, and it will get color from the points. The problem with the uniform volume is that you can't change density per point. Not a solution to every case, but it can be useful. 

Edited by Solitude