Bubble\foam particles interaction advice

Aggel

Greetings. New here, my background is in 3dsMax (krakatoa, FumeFX etc), Naiad and RealFlow. 

I came to Houdini finally and am on a quest to make a foam system at least like one in PhoenixFD, where bubbles would collide with each other and stack on top of each other to form a head.

While PhoenixFD has a great foam system but it's liquid simulation plainly embarassing, especially when using time scale or trying to make something macro-like, and it terribly lacks in control.

I already had some time to familiarize myself with Hou's flip, dops and pops. Having said that I would like to ask for an advice on what should I look into. Should I use whitewater or custom script for birth and advection? Should I look into multisolver (and which solvers to use)? Something from the top of your head to set me on a track would be greatly appreciated. As is a more detailed advice.

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

I think phoenix does the foam simulation by using variable density and vorticity. The foam is emited in area with high viscosity and it's lower density than your liquid thus it floats. The whitewater solver does a pretty good job, you can sim bubbles, spray, and foam from that one solver. Post sim you can isolate foam, spray, bubbles, because they are separated into groups automatically.