Paper sheets transforming into paper airplanes and flying away

briank1458

Hey guys,

I'm trying to create an effect where sheets of paper are blown up into the air and as they are about to fall down, they fold into paper airplanes and fly away.

I did a quick test where I got the first part down. Scattered points, copy-stamped a paper-shaped grid onto the points, cloth solver, fan force with a bit of noise. For some reason, I can't get them to collide with the floor, but the bigger issue is I have no idea how to approach the second part!

Here's the philosophy behind the approach: I'm thinking I should have another version of the paper grid modeled as the airplane. Apply some Houdini magic so as their velocity reaches a certain point after being fan-forced up, the sheets blend/fold into the airplane form. I'm guessing particle flocking would be the best way to control the airplanes though, instead of sheets of cloth (but I like the bendy-curvy behavior of the sheets are they are blown upwards). And figure out a way to configure their aim direction to the direction they're flying.

I'm pretty new to Houdini, so I welcome all suggestions and thoughts! Thanks, guys!

PAPER_v001.hipnc

PAPER_v001.mov

Your Floor Collision is not being generate correct because its to thin geometry. You have couple of options 1)Change your Uniform Divisions in your Static Object Collision option 2)Make the floor thicker much better to do if you are just doing test 3) jut putting down ground from shelf tool should work to. 

Hope this helps

Harsh