Rough Cloud-like Edges on Pyro

venator11387

I'm doing some helicopter dust and one detail I'm trying to get that I noticed in a lot of reference are the rough edges that are very similar to what clouds have. I've messed with the parameters all over on both the pyro and upres solvers endlessly, but I still can't quite get those cloud-like rough edges. I've also tried some pyro shader displacement and noise to no avail.

I'm wondering what little extra tricks or cheats anyone may have come across working on a similar effect to this?

post-9028-0-02323500-1404778055_thumb.jp

post-9028-0-94924300-1404778055_thumb.jp

Edited by venator11387

There's a few ways, but they all basically mean adding noise.

You could invert the density and use it as a mask to inject some small noise into the velocity field.

Or you can add variance to the temperature field.

Or you can do rest+rest2 and do displacment at rendertime (kind works well for fast moving stuff).

Alejandro has a really nice custom turbulence force:

https://vimeo.com/54385359

You could invert the density and use it as a mask to inject some small noise into the velocity field.

Thanks, Christian! How exactly would I go about doing that?

I've got some general knowledge of microsolvers, so I'll take a crack at putting noise on the temperature field.

I did try using the displacement by using the density gradient (using a vdb workflow) as the normal field , but I still wasn't able get the desired effect.