BRAND NEW TO HOUDINI..NEED HELP TO FINISH A SMOKE SIM

arkahtek

HI, GUYS I'M VERY NEW TO HOUDINI. I WAS FOLLOWING A TUTORIAL ON HOW TO CREATE A DUST STORM, BUT I GOT STUCK ON HOW TO MAKE THE SMOKE/DUST SIM MOVE TOWARD THE CAMERA ON THE X AXIS. THE TUTOR IN THE VIDEO USED A SOURCE APPLY NODE IN HIS AUTODOP HE RENAMED 'DUST SIMULATION'. IN HIS SOURCE  APPLY NODE HE RIGHT CLICKED ON THE X AXIS BOX THEN WENT INTO MOTION EFFECTS/NOISE, HE CHANGED THE NOISE TO ALLIGATOR AND CHANGED SOME OTHER SETTINGS IN THAT BOX TO GET THE SIM TO MOVE ON THE X AXIS. UNFORTUNATELY THIS TUTORIAL IS FROM 2011, HOUDINI 13 DOES NOT HAVE THE SOURCE APPLY NODE ANYMORE, SO NOW I'M STUCK ON HOW I CAN MAKE THE SIM MOVE TOWARD THE CAMERA OR ON THE X AXIS. CAN ANYONE HELP A NEWBIE? YOUR HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS

HIS PROJECT FILE IS ATTACHED

my project file is attached as well named dust storm 3

DustStorm_Part07_Driven-Pyro_Setup&Tweaking.hipnc

dust storm 03.hip

Edited by arkahtek

You are correct. The Source Apply logic has been completely replaced by constructing volumes directly in the source geometry. If you use the shelf to set up the pyro smoke sim in H12, you will have the new Fluid Source SOP inside the emitter geometry.

Working with the simpler dust_storm_03.hip file... Just replace the simple iso-offset logic with the more capable Fluid Source SOP.

There is a velocity tab on that SOP node. You can enable the direction option and you get a three vector field to determine the direction of the velocity within your emitter. Just set that to 1,0,0 if you want to have the initial velocity flowing in the X direction.

As for the more complicated file, I would see about porting the logic to newer H13 workflows where the particles are done as a separate simulation and then use that feeding in to a Fluid Source and simply feeding that in to the Pyro Solver. You can also pump (Pump shelf tool) the particle velocity in to the simulation if you don't want to source any fluid from the particles.

Hope that helps.

dust storm 03_jw.hipnc

Hey thank you houdini master I'm going to try what you said and substitute the ISO to the fluid source sop..I really appreciate you taking the time out to help me with this..I'm going to download your file and follow what you did ..I'll get back to you with the end simulation, after working on it.

Thanks again :)