ADD COP VEX operator doesn't make sense when adding noise

DocWhite

Hello people! I came across a thing I still cannot figure out why it happens. If we perform an ADD operation using VEX of an image, and the original image in pixel (483, 26) for instance has a red value of 0.7529  and the other input we add this to is a turbulence noise which has a red value at position (483, 26) of 0.000, when they are added together it just outputs 0.0000 for the red value at the same position pixel!

Why does that happen? See the image I attach, I create a gradient, I add the noise on top of it and it just eats all the area of the gradient in where the noise is 0, and it just adds these areas where there is noise to the value of the gradient at the point where there is noise. For a better understanding see the image I attach please. I am so bad at describing.

Do you know why it doesn't work when adding noise? It's Original Perlin Noise so the values generated are between 1 and 0, we have no negatives floats. I am confused.

Thanks a lot for reading.

post-10566-0-51851000-1414201066_thumb.p

Original Perlin Noise (without any attenuation) is in range <-1,1>.

Try to (force) recompile VOPCOP (or delete/recreate vector to float node). This looks like "not updated tree" glitch. (Or maybe even bug, it's reproducible in 13.0.562 VC11 Win7 x64 disconnect input of vector to float node, then this node throws an error, then connect add node into vector to float input and there is no recompile, so it's return black. Force Compile solves the problem.)

• Like 1

Original Perlin Noise (without any attenuation) is in range <-1,1>.

Try to (force) recompile VOPCOP (or delete/recreate vector to float node). This looks like "not updated tree" glitch. (Or maybe even bug, it's reproducible in 13.0.562 VC11 Win7 x64 disconnect input of vector to float node, then this node throws an error, then connect add node into vector to float input and there is no recompile, so it's return black. Force Compile solves the problem.)

You were right... It was a mere Houdini bug haha. Thanks a lot!