Problems with collision geo RBD Packed Obj and Static Object

jim c

I'm trying to blow up pieces of an engine block and I want them to collide with parts of the surrounding car, like the hood, radiator, car frame, etc. So I've made those pieces into Static RBD Objects and made sure that Use Deforming Geo and Use Object Xform are both turned on.

All of this is animated at the object level, key frame animated to move, roughly in the Z direction

In the middle of the engine block I've placed a Metaball, parented to the car. A Magnet DOP is used to provide explosive force. Then I have an RBD Packed Object for the big chunks in the engine block. This sort of all works, *except* that the RBD packed pieces which should be colliding with the Static Objects seem to be passing right through! This is done using the Bullet solver. I've gotten things like to work before so I don;'t quite understand what I'm doing wrong this time.

I am using a rbdkeyactive right after the  RBD Packed Object DOP to control when the RBD sim start (It's keyed to start about 15 frames after the start of the sim). Also the actual DOP Net is set to start around frame 116, not frame 1, if that matters.

Before the explosion happens:

post-4235-0-96661000-1425524927_thumb.jp

After the explode starts:

post-4235-0-08131800-1425524934_thumb.jp

So switch to an RBD from Bullet solver has helped, as well as making sure that the Magnet force is negative (doh!) not positive. Still fiddling with trying to make sure objects collide properly, but it's getting better...

Also changed the RBD Packed to RBD Fracture Object so I could make use of the RBD solver.

Edited by jim c