point velocities in pyro source vs. voxel size

johnLIC

I'm trying to re-run some small simulations at higher res (.029 --> .0235).  In the emitter I am using a point sop before the source volume node to pass in some velocities.  I'm getting erratic behavior.

When I reduce the voxel size, the emitter doesn't see the point sop velocity at all.  I have two scenes.  One the first I decreased the source's division size, so the voxels are smaller.  I then had to gain up the point velocities, and it worked.

Now, on the second scene, which is a tweaked version of the first, doing the same exact fix does not work.  In this scene I can only get the point velocities to work by _increasing_ the division size on the source volume node, resulting in bigger source voxels.  Also, it seems like the behavior is just completely inconsistent.  e.g. change a parameter, sim, change it back, sim - get a different sim than previously with the exact same settings.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this?

I had read that smaller source voxels would increase the effect of the point sop velocitites.  What I'm seeing can not be described by any such generalization.  It just doesn't make sense.  Seems like a bug to me, honestly.