POPs: Spawn out from a point with constant velocity

Farmfield

My second question for the day in regard to POP's. I'm splitting them in different threads as they are simpler to find for others looking to solve the same problem. :)

So, I'm looking for a solution to spawn particles in all directions with constant speed, like a shockwave, be it a growing spherical form or for creating something like a ring growing on a surface.

And yes, I can easily create velocities in VOPs for a point and use it in POPs but I'm looking for an in-POP solution, say you spawn particles from another (using POP Replicate) particle or a collision.

Now, you would think it would be as simple as creating a VOP and just putting a constant to the velocity, but noops. Also, why is that? That should just work, imo, or am I missing something?

Edited by Farmfield

Hey Farmfield,

You could do that using some sort of force, e.g. a curve force or a pop axis force (or anything like that, magnet force,...you name it). I attatched a simple example in which I source particles form a circle and at the same time I am using this circle again as curve force to push the particles away from the curve.

Let me know if that is the kind of setup you are looking for. :)

circular_emission.hipnc

• Like 1

No, that doesn't help me here. A simple example would be creating a point, add a POP network, in the pop network, birth 100 particles with an added velocity variation of 1, 1, 1, then attach a VOP and normalize the velocity - you will get all particles moving out from your initial point with a velocity of 1, creating a perfect sphere.

The problem is, that breaks the second you try to make something more complex, like using a volume for the particles to follow a surface. I mean, there just gotta be a somewhat simple way to do a setup like this one I did in Max, it's just a quick demo I did for a guy on how to do exactly this in Pflow - now I'm here asking the same question for POP's, hehe... And jump like 6 minutes in to see the type of spawning I'm talking about.

Edited by Farmfield