Another PC specs Help

ahmed.hesham

Hello Everyone ,

I am trying to build a computer for using Houdini , and iam really confused between choosing some parts , that would perform good with houdini With no Problems .

So kindly help me too choose between the following

First :  CPU

1- AMD FX-9590 Vishera 4.7GHz Socket AM3+ 220W Eight-Core Desktop Processor - Black Edition

2 - Intel Core I7-4790K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor

Second : VGA card

1-SAPPHIRE TRI-X R9 290X 4GB GDDR5

2- MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G GDDR5

3 -Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 OC 4GB GDDR5 Windforce 3X

4 - SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 OC

5 - SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 TRI-X STD WITH BOOST (UEFI)

Hello Everyone ,

I am trying to build a computer for using Houdini , and iam really confused between choosing some parts , that would perform good with houdini With no Problems .

So kindly help me too choose between the following

First :  CPU

1- AMD FX-9590 Vishera 4.7GHz Socket AM3+ 220W Eight-Core Desktop Processor - Black Edition

2 - Intel Core I7-4790K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor

Second : VGA card

1-SAPPHIRE TRI-X R9 290X 4GB GDDR5

2- MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4G GDDR5

3 -Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 OC 4GB GDDR5 Windforce 3X

4 - SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 OC

5 - SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 TRI-X STD WITH BOOST (UEFI)

You certinly want to go with the Intel i7-4790k proc, it's quite a bit faster than the AMD  Check out the passmark scores.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

And for video cards:

I would go with the MSI GTX 960, the arcitecture changed significantly between the 700 series and 900 series cards and the 900 preform quite a bit better compared to their 700 series counterparts.  Also Nvidia just to avoid display issues as much as possible.  Some will tell you the AMD is ok, and it very well may be, but overall from my past experience with 2 AMD cards they ALWAYS had some annoying display issues as in manipulator handles wouldn't show up, normals missing etc.  And with the new houdini viewport it's already riddles with random bugs, so if you're on the same hardware as most houdini artists then you can at least narrow down your problem easier if you should run into one.  

Just some thoughts.

Hello ,

first of all thank you alot for fast reply , so i see that the Intel prcoessor worth the cost difference after some research , besides that with AMD i will have to get very good water cooling system for processor 

but i have quesition about the VGA , i read that OpenCl is way much better on the AMDs than Nvidias , is that ture in that case ?

Also is the GTX 960 is not listed in the supported Graphics cards in sideFX website , So that means its gonna perform Bad ?

Regards

Edited by ahmed.hesham

The GTX 960 should preform fine, it may not be listed as ofically supported but it's a higher end nvidia gaming card so it should be fine.  Many people are running the same card without any major issues.

Open cl is natively supported on the AMD platform, where nvidia supports it but through their cuda framework. 

As far as real world comparisons between the two there is a thread somewhere around here where people compare the two, but in reality 4GB video memory is going to be your limiting factor. 

Unless you're doing tiny low res sims then you won't be using open cl much if at all. 

Hope that helps.

Edited by hkspowers

Thank you alot , you been great help

i will do alot of simulations using the open cl , but yet i decided to go with Nvidia .

But now i feel greedy for going for th GTX 970 instead of the GTX 960 , but i should pay more money for that .

Now the questions is : is the GTX 970 would give a better performance the the 960 ? which makes me want to go for it ?

Regards

The 970 has 664 more cuda cores which will help with your open cl processing.  Also the memory bandwidth is double at 224GB/s which will also help.  If you can afford it I would go with the 970.

Edited by hkspowers