Weird result when compositing smoke with deep comp

Hi!

I'm getting started with rendering and decided to use render passes to then composite my final image like a pro in Nuke. I read that deep compositing is the way to go when an object goes through a volume so I've enabled the deep camera map setting for both my object (a box) and the volume (some smoke). For comparison, I added a “beauty” pass to represent what the final composition should look like. See the attached hipnc file.

I also have no previous experience in compositing but I think having managed to get things working in Nuke, as per the network below.

post-12907-0-84648600-1433426205_thumb.j

The final composition seems to be identical to the beauty pass at the exception of the volume outline which differs.

post-12907-0-40105500-1433426203_thumb.j

The beauty render (on the left) shows a slightly bigger volume than the one composited (on the right). When viewing in Nuke the dcm image rendered for the smoke, the outline seems to be slightly smoothed out/contracted. Any hint to what this difference could be due to?

Cheers,

Christopher.

smoke_composite.hipnc

Thanks for your help!

Are you saying that I should consider the “DeepToImage” node as being the final image to output? If I do as you say, how would I go to split my render into diffuse, specular, and other passes, while still being able to use this deep data as a way to combine each layer from all objects?

Below is the view of the beauty pass (on the left) in comparison to the “DeepToImage” node with the “combine” setting enabled (on the right). I guess more samples would help, but I still have the same issue.

post-12907-0-38961700-1433467845_thumb.j

As for the image below, it shows the difference between the smoke render (on the left) with its dcm version (on the right). We can clearly see a stroke on the right side, meaning that the dcm area is smaller than what it should be.

post-12907-0-67087200-1433467841_thumb.j

This difference is why I suspect that I'm doing something wrong at the rendering stage in Houdini.

If you want the deep composite to be exactly like a Beauty pass then you will need to render the individual passes with the other 'hidden' elements as phantom. 

Use DeepRecolor node to add back into the Deep chain any colour corrections you do to the individual passes . i.e. spec etc.

Sorry, haven't had time to investigate the differences in the dcm and smoke render.