Controlling RBD Packed Fractured Objects with IK Bones

alexsomma

Hi all,

First of all let me introduce myself :)

My name is Alex, and I'm a director and one of two vfx artists at, the small but awesome 5 man team at Helmet Films & Visual Effects ;)

You can check some of our work here: www.helmet.no

We just switched from Softimage to Houdini (like a lot of people) and all ready we are loving it!

I've been looking around this forum and you all seem tremendously helpful to eachother, so we're really excited to finally be joining you! 

Now, on to the issue!

We're doing a project with some stone creatures, and I want to be able to control the creatures with simple rigs (i.e. just parenting the pieces to IK driven bones) and then do fracturing and simulation on some of the pieces. 

As long as I import a regular RBD object the RBD Keyframe Active works like expected, but as soon as I switch to the RBD Fractured Packed Object the world space positions are all messed up.

This happens both when I check "Use OBJ Path" and link to another object, and also if I manually animate the position inside the RBD Keyfram Active node itself.

It's kind of hard to understand why it's failing, so if anyone has any ideas I'd be very greatful!

I've attached som screenshots and the HIP file.

Cheers,

Alex

post-13553-0-70218000-1433756855_thumb.p

RiggedArm_RBD_v02.hip

without having checked your scene (sorry, I will try later), I don´t think RBD Keyframe active works with Packed objects.

I feel the recommended workflow for all packed object sims right now is contraints networks. But yes, I feel your pain, because for quick simple stuff RBD Keyframe active is simple enough.

... I don´t think RBD Keyframe active works with Packed objects.

Hi Netvudu,

Thanks for you quick reply!

If you check my attached .hip file, it kind of works though...it's just that the transformations are messed up. 

Also, viewing the animation from inside the DOP Network is different from viewing it at object level.

Really strange.

Alex

The RBD Keyframe Active node doesn't work with RBD Packed Object. It works by modifying the Position subdata of each DOP object, but for packed objects you have a single DOP object where each packed primitive in the geometry represents an RBD object and the P/orient attributes specify its position.

It is easy to set up a similar effect with packed objects, though - take a look at the AnimatedObjects example file.