Newbie needs help and direction on creating a Nuclear explosion

arkahtek

hi, guys i'm a newbie to Houdini trying create a Nuclear explosion.  i've read the manuals in the pyro fx section on the Side FX website, unfortunately it only helps me but so much.  I saw someone on Vimeo that created a  nuclear explosion inside houdini, and he said he got help from some forum members here to create it..i'm hoping for the same outcome as well . :D  The problems i'm having is of course not fully understanding pyro fx enough to tweak something without messing something else up within the sim. 

Problem 1. The mushroom cloud dissipates after 46 frames

Problem 2  Trying to get it to look like the nuke screenshot

i also included a screen shot of what i have so far and the .hip file

Any help and direction you guys can give me on this project will be greatly appreciated thank you :)

post-12008-0-69242700-1438711935_thumb.p

post-12008-0-09779600-1438712082_thumb.p

nuke in progress.hip

hi, maybe if you tried to find that thread here on forum you could save some time waiting for hints... I'm quite sure that many people already asked the same question. for example these ones:

http://forums.odforce.net/topic/21023-pyro-explosion-rnd/

http://forums.odforce.net/topic/23303-houdini-pyro-nuclear-mushroom/?hl=nuke#entry137376

I recently did this setup for a KIZ music video...

...and I started out with the Side Effects nuclear bomb asset from Orbolt and just started tweaking until I had something looking what I was after - typically I ended up scaling it so the final shape was never seen, but that's often the case, hehe...

The shockwave was another sim which I rendered from two angles and combined, also mirroring it and having a couple of different times versions and layered them up for the final look. You do what you gotta do when you don't have the time to setup, simulate and render huge scenes... :)

Hehe, man, either you changed your initial post or I just went on autopilot answering this one - shame on me. Shame. Shame. Pling. :D

And I'll give you a hint about your issue - you've got a 50x50cm emitter. And though a modern nuclear weapon could probably be built that small, if you want proper behavior, you need to keep to proper scale - so try doing a 100x100 meter emitter and you'll start to get some way more reasonable results out of your sim. :D

speaking of scale, units are really, really, really important to manage properly.  generally, houdini likes to be in meters.  you can change it, but unless you're really vigilant about what you're doing, it's entirely possible to end up with settings that aren't scaled properly.  safest, especially when starting out, is to stick with meters.  that way, all the settings you're likely to come across will be appropriately scaled.

Hey farmfield no you didn't go auto pilot lol I did change my name here..it's funny I'm just checking your reply , I actually did start playing around with those settings and now it's starting to look nuclear .. Fathom thank you as well I will keep that in mind from now on about scaling in metres