best way to locally transfer FLIP field to Pyro Field

timfagan

I'm trying to use a flip sim field to effect a pyro sim field (fuel). I want to use the FLIP particles to locally remove the fuel for the pyro sim. In SOP level this would be straightforward with an attribute transfer node, but in DOPs it's not quite clear to me yet.

I'm using an Apply Data and Fetch Data to get a field from the FLIP sim, which at the moment is just the viscosity (because it is a scalar = 0). And then a Gas Calculate to transfer it to the fuel field on the pyro sim. Unfortunately it seems to just replace the whole field rather than just where the particles are close to the fuel source.

I guess I just need a way to make the transfer local to the particles. I tried adding "Geometry" to the Source Index on the Gas Calculate node, hoping it would be able to use the FLIP particles as reference points for transfer, but this didn't work.

I have a test scene attached. Just switch the Gas Calculate on...

post-12939-0-77824000-1442282496_thumb.j

testing_01.hipnc

what you had was close..  but you were fetching a viscosity field which wasn't there.  I just turned on viscosity (under volume motion tab on the flip solver).  I also changed the gas calculate to subtract your "flipfuel" field from the fuel (you had it at minimum,  which just gave the interection of the fields .. I'm not sure that's what you wanted).

I also turned off sourcing of fuel after 20 frames so you can see the effect.  If it is continually sourcing fuel then you can't see the subtraction.

-G

Great thanks ranxerox!

I didn't realize the operation (like minimum etc) on the gas calculate was upon the whole volume, so that helps a lot. On that note, do you (or anyone) understand how the data is transferred between fields in DOPs?

For example:

I have a system here transferring a scalar field from a pops network to a scalar field on a pyro network. The particles slowly rise up into the pyro field. See the attached images for what happens.

The particle region is much smaller than the pyro field. Where the regions overlap the transfer is fine, but outside here the values are extrapolated right across the whole pyro field. I'm using a simple vopsop to directly pass the data which could be causing a problem. One tricky thing is that the fetch data node cannot be visualized, and can't be added to another field - so I've created a field and passed the data onto it. 

The scene file is attached.

ignite_fuel_particles_01.hipnc

post-12939-0-44778200-1442375269_thumb.j

post-12939-0-46955700-1442375280_thumb.j

post-12939-0-24018100-1442375287_thumb.j