hundreds of tiny bubbles in FLIP

Fyre

Hi,

Looking to create hundreds of tiny (non dynamic) bubbles inside a FLIP.

reference:tuile06.jpg

Currently im using some of the flip particles and assigning tiny sphere to them, which is along the right lines.

However when rendering the bubbles just appear black, despite being refractive.

Does anyone have any ideas how to make this, or if there are ways to cheat it?

For creating the bubbles, just take your flip sim particles, pipe them out into SOP's, then do a random sort and finally delete any particles but the amount you want. Then you can just do a normal copy to points type setup with a sphere and some random sizing from point number/id.

For rendering them, I'd do that separately, then composite them in using a zdepth pass and general compositing trickery. :D

Edited by Farmfield
  • Like 1

Hey Farmfield, thanks for the reply.

Yeah, the method your describing is exactly what i had thought to do. Its just unfortunate that the rendering side of things is letting it down.

I'm fairly unversed in the comp side of things. How would a zdepth work, i need information from the depth of the surface of the FLIP and refraction information from the FLIP for the bubbles.

EDIT: ok it seems to be working now. Had a shading issue. Thanks anyway

Edited by Fyre

Hi,

Wanted to share something similar tried a while ago. Bubbles are generated as johnny described but test rendering was all together.

Indeed the more control at comp the better.   

Cheers!

Edited by gaurav

Hey Farmfield, thanks for the reply.

Yeah, the method your describing is exactly what i had thought to do. Its just unfortunate that the rendering side of things is letting it down.

I'm fairly unversed in the comp side of things. How would a zdepth work, i need information from the depth of the surface of the FLIP and refraction information from the FLIP for the bubbles.

EDIT: ok it seems to be working now. Had a shading issue. Thanks anyway

What you want in compositing is a way to get the bubbles to look like they are inside a transparent material, and there are several ways to achieve this. The Zdepth gives a pixel value calculated from the 3D surface position in Z, relative to the camera. It's usually used for creating things like depth of field in compositing, as that is fairly expensive to render out in 3D, but can be used for a lot of other things, from extracting 3D depth data for stereo conversion of 2D imagery to what I was thinking of, using it for color correction or masking the bubbles to create the illusion of them being inside something translucent - or like here, used for the water...

Edited by Farmfield

Thanks for the replies guys, loads of useful info here.

Nice bubble shapes in that test.

The effect I was trying to achieve was in a fairly cloudy liquid so the bubbles are tiny, and rather difficult to see, so I've managed to get away with doing it all in one go at render time.

Cheers