Wind shadow

jonas.borgman

I'm simulating a flag, and the result i get with a simple wind force doesn't really behave how i would expect wind to behave.

What I'm trying to achieve is the effect where the flag would cast wind shadow so that the pieces of the flag that is behind other pieces doesn't get the same amount of wind applied to it.

I have done this in Maya, where there is simply a check box, and i would think that there should be some way to achieve this in Houdini as well.

I tried with setting up a sop solver that figures out with a ray sop if it's behind something and just multiplied a vector to that.

I also tried with the VOP Force, but couldn't get the shadow attribute to be used in there.

When i got something to work, simply multiplying the shadow value with an acceleration vector didn't really produce a result that looked realistic, since the cloth shouldn't be pushed in the wind direction only, but also take in consideration how the normal of the cloth is aligned towards the wind.

Anyways, both of those setups seemed both very inaccurate and too advanced to be the best way to solve it.

Is there something i am totally overlooking or does anyone have a setup that allows for this to be calculated?

wind_shadow.hip